Sunday, September 16, 2012

First day of Kindergarten

This past week was the first full week of school. School officially started Thursday, September 6th. Prior to this, we started practicing what would become our new sleep schedule. My goal was to have Joey in bed by 8:30 and up by 7 a.m. Surprisingly, he adjusted well. 

The night before the big day, we got everything ready. Clothes laid out, bag and lunch packed.  I went over what Joey should expect the first day. Little did I know, it would be a bit more chaotic.

We were up right at 7 a.m. I was nervous. I can only imagine how Joey must have felt.
We left for school at 8:05. (His school is a few blocks away. The walk is less than 10 minutes. He has to be inside the doors by 8:20.) Tony, Joey, and I got to the school and it was chaos! Parents and students everywhere. We were unsure where we needed to be, so after 10 minutes of walking from place to place, we finally found out where we needed to go. With all the people and noise, it was only a matter of time before Joey had a total meltdown. He burst into tears and thus started the runny nose, coughing, and soon, gagging. Uh oh! Joey's teacher was directing parents and their children to the appropriate classroom, therefore, she had us temporarily waiting in another teacher's classroom. It was hot in the school. I was already flustered and sweating like crazy, when Joey, upset and nervous, finally threw up. Thank goodness for Tony, because I would have probably burst into tears as well. Thank goodness there was a garbage can nearby and we had tissue, water, and paper towels. I think he felt much better. Soon, the time had come for all parents to leave. We left with Joey crying and a hope that he would be okay. 


The look of nervousness.


Our walk home was a mixture of joy, relief, anxiety, and sadness. We got home and wondered what to do. We decided to have go out for dim sum. Tony and I had a nice brunch. We both agreed, this is one of the perks of Joey being in school. We get to eat lunch, just the two of us. 

Tony had a chiropractic appointment in Queens, so he took the day off from work. The first day was half a day. He got out of school at noon. At 11:50, we made our way to school. Joey's class was the first to come out. He saw us right away and waved. His teacher, Mrs Grosbard, said he did very well and calmed down soon after we left. He told us it was not so bad and he showed us all the stickers he had earned. We got few details of his first day, but we got the notion that it was not bad at all. 

We drove to Queens for Tony's appointment. Turns out, the clinic is not far from the Museum of the Moving Image. When Tony was finished with his appointment, we headed to the museum. We even found parking across the street. Since it was the first day of school, the museum was a ghost town. Overall, it was an interesting museum. I got to try voice over work on The Wizard of Oz, which was a lot of fun. We also played arcade game favorites such as, Ms. Pacman, Galaga, and Donkey Kong. I also got to play on the first Nintendo console and the Sega Genesis console. A nice flashback to my adolescent years. There was a look back at the very first cameras and memorabilia from movies and television. The $12.00 admission, I thought, was a bit much, however, I get to cross this off my "museum bucket list". 


His sticker collection

Glad to be with Dad

Add caption


By the end of the day, we were very tired. We decided it was going to be a pizza night. Joey fell asleep right away. I packed his book bag and got his clothes laid out, I crashed shortly after. His official full day of school started the next day. It also started our new weekly schedule. To be continued...

2 comments:

  1. Yay! I am so happy you started this blog! :) What a anxious and then fun day. Good work!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very interesting. Just need to get your very much younger older sister to start one of these as well......

    ReplyDelete