Joey and I get home from school between 3:15 and 3:30. First thing, he takes off his shoes, and goes to wash his hands and wipe his face (He comes home sweaty and grimy from running around the school yard). We set up his table, I get his book bag and look over his homework for the night. I make sure we have pencils, a sharpener, an eraser, and his box of crayons. We grab something to drink, and an easy snack that he can nibble on, usually pretzels or goldfish. We are ready to start his homework.
Once situated, the first thing we do is open up his reading folder. Inside is a reading log and a book. The books are easy reads, usually a nursery rhyme of sort, and only a few pages long. Joey reads them to me, and we discuss the book. It's like our own mini book club. I sign his reading log, indicating we read it together. After the book, I have him stand up and stretch, eat some of his snack, and take a sip of his drink (We do this, after he finishes each assignment). Now on to his Math Steps workbook. He has 1 page, front and back. It's usually quick, unless he has to color (He doesn't like coloring very much.). From there, it's on to the worksheets found in his yellow homework folder. This folder is transported between teacher and parent. It's how we communicate. Any important notices or notes are put in this folder, along with his homework. He has one worksheet, sometimes two every day. Right now, they practice writing the alphabets. This requires some attention, because Joey has a handwriting quirk, he writes bottom to top. His Pre-K teacher pointed this out to me and it was something we have been trying to work on. Therefore, I have to constantly remind him to write top to bottom. By the time we get to this part of his homework, he starts to get a little restless and cranky. He wants to be finished. He starts getting a little sloppy. The lines get a little more crooked, the letters start to become uneven and inconsistent. This is where a good eraser comes in handy, because we have to do it over. That gets him more cranky. Thus in turn, I start to get a little impatient. This part of his homework, is what takes the longest and the most concentration. It's also the time we take a break. I have to step away for a bit, and get my own drink or snack. We come back 10 minutes later, refreshed and ready to go. We finish the worksheet, and then it's time to do the assignments in his notebook. His teacher tapes the assignments inside his notebook. It's usually a word or sentence, that he has to write 3 times. You would think he is finished after this, but he is not. He has an alphabet sheet we go over. He says the letter, followed by a word that begins with that letter, followed by the sound of the letter. He does this twice. Then we take a few more minutes and go over his number sheet. The sheet has numbers 1 to 100. I ask him, "what does number 43 look like?" and he has to tell me. We sometimes count by five's or ten's. I am trying to teach him to count by two's. I sometimes forget to do the number sheet, but I have been trying to be more consistent.
There you have it, Joey's homework schedule. It's takes a lot out of us. By the time we are finished, we both want to lie down and take a nap. He doesn't, but I usually lie on my bed for a few minutes. I'll admit, I fell asleep a few times.
This homework schedule is just another thing added to my new daily routine. It will take a lot of patience. I am constantly reminding myself, he is only in Kindergarten. It's okay, if his B's are not perfect. It's okay, if his lines are a little crooked. It's definitely okay, if he colors outside the lines. These are little things, that over time, will correct itself. Instead, I will concentrate on the other little things he is good at. He is the only kid in his class that can count by five's. He can add and subtract. He loves to read. I have a feeling, he will do well in school. I have 12 more years of this. His homework will get more and more demanding every year. Knowing this, I will do my best to make sure, I always have the time and patience, to help and guide him through his school years.
![]() |
| His daily homework |
![]() |
| What most afternoons look like. |


Garrett has a lot of homework, too, and the amount varies from day to day, but it sounds like Joey has more. Wow. Maybe it will get easier as the school year goes on -- and he's better at writing. I'm hoping, at least, that that's the case with Garrett. :)
ReplyDelete