Monday, January 14, 2013

Isaac

How many of you remember your favorite toy? Growing up in the 80's, the hot ticket toy was the Cabbage Patch kid. Almost everyone wanted or owned one at some point. My first Cabbage Patch kid was a little baby boy named Isaac. I loved him. He was scented and smelled like baby powder. I got him when I was six years old. He was my favorite. As the years went by, he eventually went into storage along with my other cabbage patch kids.

When I went back to New Mexico for a visit, I pulled out my storage boxes from my old room. I found a nice treasure trove of randomness. I spent a good hour looking at everything  It was fun to reminisce.  The last box contained my dolls. It is there, that I found Isaac. I showed him to Joey and I knew it was time he came out of storage. I could tell Joey liked him. I asked Joey if he would like to take him back to New York, he happily said yes.

That night at my parents' house, we were getting ready for bed. Joey tucked Isaac in my bed and said, "Here Mom, you can sleep with Isaac one more night." It was a sweet gesture. After that night, Isaac has been tucked in next to Joey.

I put Isaac in storage, knowing I would pass him along to my future kids. I just can't believe that time has come. What's more, Joey received him at the same age I was, when I got him.  So far, Joey is taking good care of him. Who knows? Maybe Isaac will last and be passed along to Joey's future kids.


His new buddy

No comments:

Post a Comment