This past week marked Joey's first week of school. It was a hectic start, but by the end of the week, everything had fallen into place.
Earlier this year, Joey took a test to see if he would qualify for a spot in the Gifted and Talented program that is offered at a few NYC public schools. We were sent a letter stating he had qualified. We applied to several schools. All we had to do was wait and see if he got accepted. At the end of June, we were informed there were no spots for him and he would be put on a waiting list. I must admit, we were a little upset, but we decided it's okay. His current school was a five minute walk from us, he had plenty of friends, and the staff worked so well with the kids. Well, a week before he was to start school, we got a letter in the mail stating a spot has opened up in the Gifted and Talented program. We had a week to decide whether or not to enroll him in this new school. Tony and I decided to give it a shot. If we didn't like this school, we could always transfer him back. I was unsure of our decision, but I went ahead and registered him. He would start that Monday. We went through the rest of the week preparing for school.
The night before school, Joey could not sleep. His nerves were keeping him up. I was starting to get nervous. What if it's a repeat of last year? (click here for last year's story) I don't know if I could handle it again this year. Over the course of the last week, I did everything I could think of to calm his nerves. I went over what he should expect the first day. I told him it was going to be hectic on the first day, but it would get better. We said a little prayer and he soon fell asleep.
The next morning, Joey had a breakfast of buttered toast and water. Not the most energy boosting of foods, but it's as bland as you can get, and it's the only food he wanted. We packed up and left for school. We got to the school yard and it was packed with parents and students. I found his class and waited with him until his teacher came. I could tell Joey was nervous. He kept sipping his water and I was preparing for the worse. Most of the kids in his class knew each other and were chatting away. It was the same with the parents. For a minute, I knew how Joey must have felt. Being in a new school with no friends is always a tough transition. Soon, it was time for the parents to leave, I said bye and watched him walk inside. No tears. No vomit. I was so relieved. .
As the week went by, everything seemed to settle and things got easier. I like his teacher and the school staff. Dropping him off is a breeze. However, pick up is still chaotic. The school is still trying to find a release system that works. His new school is further away. and I drive him to school. I plan to alternate between driving and walking. It's a twenty five minute walk and I think the stroll would be good for us. Joey has made friends in his class. His nerves are gone and he tells me he likes this school. I am so happy the transition has been easy. He will be at this school with the same classmates for the next few years.
I went to a meet and greet with Joey's teacher. She explained the curriculum and what to expect. He will be doing spelling, reading, math, social studies, and science. He also goes to music, art, gym, and the library. He has daily homework in reading, spelling, and math. He had his first spelling test on Friday. He does a lot of writing, which is good. Homework load is a little bit more than last year, but that is to be expected. I am excited to see how much he will learn and grow this year. It's going to be challenging, but I know with a little effort from all of us, he will excel.

No comments:
Post a Comment